Friday, October 3, 2008

Things are Rolling and There's Some New Flooring

Yes, I know...it rymes, so let's get to the good news of why things are rolling.


I mentioned last entry that I have been accepted to Utah State University. On Monday, I told my supervisors that I'm moving. I told them that my last day of work will be November 6th, so the time there is winding down...finally. Remember my original plans of moving here and then leaving by April...yeah, that's were the finally comes from. Oh, and another thing to show my luck doesn't exist in Texas...I got another speeding ticket today. That's 2 in 8 months.


But maybe my luck isn't all that bad. Today, I looked online to find some housing. I didn't expect to find anything, but I made some calls to see if there was any openings. I found a place somewhat close to campus with a private room, shared bathroom, fully furnished, laundry on site, Kitchen, and Living room. The man I talked to had one of those kind, old, grandpa type voices that made you feel at home. He told me rent is $225/month, but he also wanted to get the room rented out and would give me $210/month if I took the room. I had my sister-in-law go look at it and she approved, so I called the manager back. I said I was interested in the room and he said he would send a contract. I told him I wouldn't be there for a month and asked how that would work. He replied by saying that he would sent the contract, hold the room for me, and wouldn't charge me a cent until the day I arrived. ...WOW!!! That's all I got to say. Wow!!! Ok, so apartment is taken care of, now I need a job and a car.


For a while now, my roomate Russel has been wanting to take out the carpet downstairs and has wanted to put in wood flooring. He took out the carpet last week and today he started putting in the new flooring. I saw that he was having trouble, so I offered to help. After a little while, we got into a groove where we would link a row of flooring, he would cut the last piece to size, and then I would tap the row in place while he held the other end steady. It was hard work and way too much time on our knees, but we got the room covered. Six hours later, we called it good, though we still have to put up the finishers. I took some pictures of some of our progress and a video, so enjoy.



The old carpet and the tile in the entry

The carpet is out
Laying down the flooring
Making some measurements
Finished with laying down the flooring...just need the finishers
All done laying it...look, it matches the door! Proud owner...and look, it matches the stairs!




1 comment:

jeraldean said...

Josh! I am very excited for you! I know that prayers have been heard in your behalf. Good job on the floor too! You will be a great handyman for your furture wife someday.
Love, MOM