Thursday, July 15, 2010

A new job and the Wizard of Oz.

Work has been horrendous lately. As mentioned before, my favorite colleague switched departments, so we have been short 1 person from that. Another co-worker also went home to Mexico for a week and then got stuck there for another week when her car broke down. Two people short made for very long days because 3 of us would cover the day. That meant that each of us would either be alone for several hours (like in my case) or there would be 2 there, but only one would be taking care of the lines while the other got supplies or made pizzas or what not. Either way wasn't good, and it especially made for large messes to clean up when closing time came because none of that would get done until closing time.

Tuesday was another dreadful day and I knew it would be long. I got to work and was walking in the parking lot from my car thinking how I needed to find a new job or switch departments soon because I was really getting tired of the cafe. Sure enough, it was my lucky day. The assistant manager in charge of the cashiers told me they had an opening and asked if I was still interested. Of course I said yes. I will stay in the cafe another week and then I will be a cashier. Yay!!! Needless to say, the day went faster than I thought after that news and I even got done sooner than I had anticipated.

I had great news from work. I also have great news from school. The summer session is half-way done now. We had another quiz (worth 8% or our grade) and turned in our 2nd homework assignment (worth about the same) I got 60/ 80 on this quiz, so not as good as the first, but the teacher also showed us our overall grades so far. I have a 96%. I was so happy. On top of that, I had the second highest grade in class. I was talking to a fellow student who also transferred from civil engineering that I know and found out he was the one who had the grade higher than me. We thought it was funny that we had the highest grades and that both of us were engineering students before we switched to business. I'll tell you one thing... it sure is good to be smart again. Engineering made me feel dumb a lot of the time even though it does that to most everyone. I guess I don't have to find the Wizard of Oz to find my brain because I got it back. :-D

No comments: