Sunday, March 15, 2009

Girls and Cars

Ok, so I'm talking about girls again. Does that surprise you? I thought not. So my last post was how I gave up on a girl. The next day I was determined to ask another girl on a date. I just didn't know who yet. Because of Spring Break, our ward was combined with another one. We were in charge of Sacrament Meeting, so the speakers were from our ward and all 3 happened to be return missionary sisters. I nudged my roommate and told him I was going to ask one of them on a date by the end of the day.

I couldn't decide which one to ask, but I thought I saw one of them smile at me while another was talking. I brushed it off as a coincidence or that she was smiling at someone else. When the meeting ended, I still hadn't quite made a decision, but I was close. I started walking to Sunday School class and the smile girl was seemingly waiting outside the chapel. I complimented her on her talk as I walked by and then she started talking with a girl behind me. I went and sat down, and then to my surprise, she came down the aisle I was sitting in and asked if she could sit next to me. I of course said yes and we chatted while we waited for class. I found out she has her bachelors degree in history, so that and her mission, I figured she was 24. Anyway, class started, but when it ended I immediately asked her on a date. I had to call her later in the day with the details, but since she was leaving town near the end of the week, we decided to go to dinner and ice skating the next day since FHE was cancelled due to spring break.

It was fun. We went to Olive Garden, so I was finally able to eat there after wanting to go there for 4 months. I had forgotten that it was a bit pricey, but it was good food and good company. While talking with her, she told me she had spent only 2 years in college which confused me because of her Bachelor's. Then I found out she had her associates when she graduated from high school in 2004. That made her 2 years younger than I had thought, but I was ok with that. Six year difference is acceptable in my book. Ice skating was fun too. It was her first time on an indoor rink and 2nd time overall. She did really well though.

There was a small family there with 4 kids. The parents were helping 2 of them and another was just crawling on the ice because he couldn't skate either. I couldn't help myself and helped him around the rink for a little while. She tried to help the kid I was helping as well by grabbing his other hand, but ended up having to let go after a bit. It was fun to watch the little kids, especially when the rink gave them little walkers to help them stay on their feet. They had the biggest smiles on their faces as they were able to stay on their feet long enough to go for a small distance. It reminded me how much fun it is to be around little kids and how much they can teach you about enjoying the little things in life.

After ice skating, I dropped her off at home. I walked her to her door and ended with a hug. It was a nice time and when she gets back, I'll see if I can get another date with her.

Now, the bad part of this post. My poor car has been having problems since I moved to Texas 1 1/2 years ago. Since moving here, my booster on the brakes went out so I have to nearly triple the braking distance. Last week, another problem started where sometimes it won't shift past 2nd or 3rd gear. With these new problems and the fact that the insurance expires next month and I don't want to renew it, I have been looking at buying a car all week. I've looked at several, but nothing has worked out so far. My financial situation between looking for a car, needing to look for a new place to live, and saving for school have all been a little stressful on me this week. One day I will get depressed, and the next I'll have some hope for the future. It was like that all week. I just hope I can find a car soon and get one problem out of the way so I can work on fixing the next problem in line.

No comments: